I’ve had quite a few conversations with school leader clients and others about well-being in the last few months, it strikes me that all behaviour in school whatever that is role models a message to young people. I mean what leadership behaviour are you role modelling when you:
- Don’t eat all day because you haven’t got time
- Don’t take break because you haven’t got time or have said yes to so much ,there’s no room left for you to take care of you
- Misunderstand or miss vital pieces of the picture because you’re so driven to get onto the next thing
- Forget meetings or run late for most of them because you’ve squeezed you’re day so tight there’s little room for the unexpected
- Work until 9/10pm at night and can’ sleep because you’re worrying all the things to do tomorrow
How can we possibly be at our best to lead or teach when we are not even taking care of our basic needs?
I wonder if our young people will grow up and go into the working world thinking this is the how life is. Will the message be: work top of the list – my physical and emotional needs at the bottom.
Thoughts? I’d love to hear them!